A dark and dated traditional family room was in great need of an updated look to bring the space in to the 21st century and make it more functional for the homeowners (don't miss the "before" photos throughout this post!)
- New fireplace facade and floor level hearth in black Italian slate replaced the step-up red brick fireplace with brass insert, which projected in to the room. In addition to the sleeker look, the new fireplace design also created more space in the narrow room
- Custom wood paneling and built-in shelving was constructed to surround the fireplace, painted in a deep charcoal grey, and running the length of the wall. The built-in cabinetry houses a TV, desk area with additional seating, and shelving to display art and accessories
- A crawl space directly above this family room enabled the ability to create a vaulted ceiling using stained tongue and groove pine planks and add height to the room, as well as bringing in warm wood tones, texture and reducing drywall
- Skylights were installed to maximize natural light, as a window existed only on the north side of the room
- The square wood parquet flooring was replaced with new solid oak floors, which run horizontally to visually widen the space. The wood floor was also installed in the adjacent sun room for a seamless transition
- Sliding glass barn doors leading in to the sun room adds more usable space and open flow between the two rooms and also brings in more natural light
- Mid-century modern inspired furniture and decor with simple, minimalist lines were chosen to align with the homeowner's contemporary style
- A fresh color palette of blue and turquoise is woven throughout in the art and textiles, adding soft layers and dimension
Architectural Rendering for Built-In
After- View in to Sun Room
Before- View in to Sun Room
At, Timeless Design, Kate FitzGerald-Wilks designs with the intent to make clients’ homes both beautiful and functional. A business owner and mom of three, she understands the importance of simplifying home maintenance and organization.
Interested in renovating your home? Send Kate a message to learn how Team Timeless can make your home more beautiful. Also, be sure to check out more photos from this project here.